Graduate assistantships are offered in both administrative and academic areas throughout the University. Graduate assistants work around 20 hours a week in their assigned area and receive a stipend and tuition reimbursement for their work. The Graduate College maintains an updated list of available graduate assistantship positions throughout the University. These positions involve academic, administrative, research and/or teaching responsibilities. If possible, the assistantship assignment is closely related to your program of study.
Departmental graduate assistantship positions
The department of psychology offers many opportunities for our graduate students to receive assistantship opportunities within the field of psychology.
Our graduate students are employed throughout the department as:
- Teaching assistants for PSY 121 and PSY 200
- Research assistants
- Graduate assistants at the Learning Diagnostic Clinic (priority given to clinical psychology students)
- Graduate assistant for the Psychology Advisement Center
- Graduate assistants for RStats and other university centers
To be eligible to receive a graduate assistantship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be admitted to a graduate program at Missouri State
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework OR a minimum 3.0 GPA on 9 or more hours of the most recent graduate coursework
- Complete a minimum of 6 hours of graduate coursework (500-700 level) each semester of your academic year appointment
A graduate assistantship position provides a minimum stipend of $7,340 for the academic year and a tuition scholarship for up to 12 hours of coursework for both the fall and spring semesters. In a few situations, a stipend of $9,730 may be available.
A summer graduate assistantship position provides a stipend of either $1,835 or $2,432. As a summer graduate assistant, you are eligible to receive a scholarship for up to 6 hours of coursework and must complete a minimum of 3 hours of graduate coursework during the summer semester.
How to apply
To apply for a graduate assistantship, you must submit an application and three letters of recommendation directly to the department or office in which an assistantship is sought.
Applications are available at the Graduate College in Carrington Hall, Room 419, or online.